The Road to Perdition
She said she was a fallen angel.
I partly believed it because the bar was closing
and she looked anything but angelic.
She had rust colored hair and a worn glow.
I asked her; 'What are you doing, later.'
She said; 'I am going to walk the road to Perdition.'
I asked; 'What town is that in? '
I got her to smile.
I told her I would give her a lift.
I brought her to my place.
She said nothing in the ride.
I asked; 'What do you drink? '
She answered; 'Blood red wine.'
I poured her some old merlot.
I stroked her hair and kissed her.
It was forced.
She took off her blouse.
She was bruised all over.
I asked her where she got the bruises.
She said; 'Michael gave them to me when he cast me out.'
I thought, the archangel or a cruel boyfriend.
I didn't press.
She asked me to put on some music
and then she danced for me,
it was a kind of awkward teasing dance.
I swallowed my drink.
She was really quite pretty
when you picked through all the hazards.
She was completely naked now.
I poured myself a double.
I got up and danced with her.
I stroked her back.
I asked about her wings.
She said; 'Life has stripped them and I can no longer fly.'
I rolled a joint and got her high.
That is the night I slept with a fallen angel.
In the morning
she would be walking the road to Perdition
and I would be living in my house of ruin.
Captain Cur's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Road to Perdition by Captain Cur )
Did you read them?
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
- Before Death, Ajaeyy Raaj
- the toothless Tiger Dynasties, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- The Spray, Akhtar Jawad
- Think and breathe, hasmukh amathalal
- Love for care, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)