The Ruined Maid
"O 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown!
Who could have supposed I should meet you in Town?
And whence such fair garments, such prosperi-ty?"-
"O didn't you know I'd been ruined?" said she.
-"You left us in tatters, without shoes or socks,
Tired of digging potatoes, and spudding up docks;
And now you've gay bracelets and bright feathers three!"-
"Yes: that's how we dress when we're ruined," said she.
-"At home in the barton you said 'thee' and 'thou,'
And 'thik oon' and 'theäs oon' and 't'other'; but now
Your talking quite fits 'ee for high compan-ny!"-
"Some polish is gained with one's ruin," said she.
-"Your hands were like paws then, you face blue and bleak
But now I'm bewitched by your delicate cheek,
And your little gloves fit as on any la-dy!"-
"We never do work when we're ruined," said she.
-"You used to call home-life a hag-ridden dream,
And you'd sigh, and you'd sock; but at present you seem
To know not of megrims or melancho-ly!"-
"True. One's pretty lively when ruined," said she.
-"I wish I had feathers, a fine sweeping gown,
And a delicate face, and could strut about Town"-
"My dear - raw country girl, such as you be,
Cannot quite expect that. You ain't ruined," said she.
Thomas Hardy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ruined Maid by Thomas Hardy )
Did you read them?
- Who can Love You More than Me?, Md. Ziaul Haque
- You have Made Me Yours, Md. Ziaul Haque
- हाबाब सना, हाबाब मैना, Ronjoy Brahma
- When I will not be Here…, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I VISIT MYSELF, ROCHISH MON
- Water Can Speak!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- The Eye-Catcher, Naveed Khalid
- It's Shakespeare [Sheikspeare] not Sexpe.., Md. Ziaul Haque
- Magician, Naveed Khalid
- snow, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)