john chizoba vincent
THE RUN AWAY BRIDE
Motionless she walked down the alley
With two bullets in her hearts.
In the shadow of her past,
Her soul was dark and red.
I think i saw her ran in to the garden
With a vase of flowers in her hands
Then she threw her wedding ring in the flower bed.
I think i saw her crying heavily in the street,
the white gown blasphemy behind her
and the veil cursed her face.
Her face was rough, swollen like a boil,
No fashionable make upon her face then
Her heart pounding heavily like An ikoro ready to explode.
Is she aware of the proposed marriage?
Was she told about her husband to be or
Was she forced into the marriage?
She is just too young to marry
To experience the pains of marriage.
Motherhood may not be a better experience to her.
Dont break the law
She is a girlchild.
Put her not in a family way
the Night is still too young and not old for her.
Help nurture that lovely body which the creator
Adorned her with and push her not into the lions den.
She had been raped severally
Left naked and battered under the sun.
The love which she is being forced into
Would looked nothing less than a battle field to her.
Send her to school she needs it.
Education would cave her future and make her better
Restructure her lost memories and give her hope.
speak against girlchild marriage
Defend womanhood and girehood.
They are part of us our world
Dot discriminate the woman hood because
they make our existence possible.
Women are our world, no woman no world.
john chizoba vincent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (THE RUN AWAY BRIDE by john chizoba vincent )
- A Man's Oft-hidden Tears, Maurice Harris
- Contentment, Katherine Nordhaus
- The News Explained it to Me, Vera Sidhwa
- Diwali, Hans Raj Sharma
- One Nation Under God, Katherine Nordhaus
- the weather knows where i'll someday put.., Mandolyn ...
- Love Is, sallam yassin
- MY HEART SMILES TO YOU, john chizoba vincent
- When The Wind Blows, Tony Adah
- If I am just A Character, Felicia Manning
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)