John Gardiner Calkins Brainard
The Sea Gull.
'Ibis et redibis nunquam peribis in bello.' — Oracle.
I SEEK not the grove where the wood-robins whistle,
Where the light sparrows sport, and the linnets pair;
I seek not the bower where the ring-doves nestle,
For none but the maid and her lover are there.
On the clefts of the wave-washed rock I sit,
When the ocean is roaring and raving nigh;
On the howling tempest I scream and flit,
With the storm in my wing, and the gale in my eye.
And when the bold sailor climbs the mast,
And sets his canvass gallantly,
Laughing at all his perils past,
And seeking more on the mighty sea;
I'll flit to his vessel, and perch on the truck,
Or sing in the hardy pilot's ear;
That her deck shall be like my wave-washed rock,
And her top like my nest when the storm is near.
Her cordage, the branches that I will grace—
Her rigging, the grove where I will whistle;
Her wind-swung hammock, my pairing place,
Where I by the seaboy's side will nestle.
And when the fight, like the storm, comes on,
'Mid the warrior's shout and the battle's noise,
I'll cheer him by the deadly gun,
'Till he loves the music of its voice.
And if death's dark mist shall his eye bedim,
And they plunge him beneath the fathomless wave,
A wild note shall sing his requiem,
And a white wing flap o'er his early grave.
John Gardiner Calkins Brainard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sea Gull. by John Gardiner Calkins Brainard )
- Maternity, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Crematorium, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- unheard pleas, cheynne dries
- The Mild Tiger Among Wild Men, rajendran muthiah
- dont take your life, cheynne dries
- My Life, M.J Donnchadh
- The Living Mirror, Jessica Gabanyic
- caked mud on the doorbell, Mandolyn ...
- Magnificent Armada, Saiom Shriver
- What is final, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)