George Pope Morris
The Soldier's Welcome Home.
(Written upon the return of General Scott from his brilliant Mexican campaign.)
Victorious the hero returns from the wars,
His brow bound with laurels that never will fade,
While streams the free standard of stripes and of stars,
Whose field in the battle the foeman dismayed.
When the Mexican hosts in their fury came on,
Like a tower of strength in his might he arose,
Where danger most threatened his banner was borne,
Waving hope to his friends and despair to his foes!
The soldier of honor and liberty hail!
His deeds in the temple of Fame are enrolled;
His precepts, like flower-seeds sown by the gale,
Take root in the hearts of the valiant and bold.
The warrior's escutcheon his foes seek to blot,
But vain is the effort of partisan bands--
For freemen will render full justice to SCOTT,
And welcome him home with their hearts in their hands.
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Soldier's Welcome Home. by George Pope Morris )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(2 November 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Alan W. Jankowski
- Grandpa, Alan W. Jankowski
- Happiness And Purpose, Alan W. Jankowski
- MY OATH DUE TO YOUR LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- The Sparrow, Robert Plese
- The Bemused, Robert Plese
- Time's departure, hasmukh amathalal
- We Were Born Naked, Michael Webb
- No race, hasmukh amathalal
- The worst expectation, Nnaji Hyacinth sopuluchukwu