George Pope Morris
The Sword And The Staff
The sword of the hero!
The staff of the sage!
Whose valor and wisdom
Are stamped on the age!
Of those who have riven
The sceptre from tyrants,
'The lightning from heaven!'
This weapon, O Freedom!
Was drawn by the son,
And it never was sheathed
Till the battle was won!
No stain of dishonor
Upon it we see!
'Twas never surrendered--
Except to the free!
While Fame claims the hero
And patriot sage,
Their names to emblazon
On History's page,
No holier relics
Will liberty hoard
Than FRANKLIN's staff, guarded
By WASHINGTON's sword.
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sword And The Staff by George Pope Morris )
- Could he be right?, Von Kimball Barney
- You Are My Strength, greg paul
- Winters Coming, michael hagwood
- Whats Wrong With Me, jasmine paul
- Empty Skies, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- wholesome girl, Brit Thompson
- An Indian English Poet, His Father Was N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- On The Way Down, Shalom Freedman
- Beyond Beautiful, greg paul
- Winterchill, Richard Provencher