How is my love when she's alone?
Miles apart and doesn't phone.
Where is the justice that lets us pine?
Is the pain hers and also mine?
Why does distance keep us apart?
One from t'others counterpart.
When will our meeting, time, allow?
Fate and action, mixed somehow.
The passion of action forces this:
To enjoy a worthy, heartfelt kiss!
Lovers must feel both pain and pleasure,
Which time nor distance cannot measure.
Expect love it may not be there;
Run from it and it will dare
To chastise and win you back,
It goes like that it has this knack.
When it flows smooth as a valley's stream,
Sly destiny knows its cunning scheme.
Ethereal threads bond it together
To sway around in all types of weather.
Love can return with a sparkle,
Like Mr Hyde and Dr Jekyll.
Charles McMullen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wait by Charles McMullen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Anecdote of the Jar, Wallace Stevens
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Indian Weavers, Sarojini Naidu
Poem of the Day
- New Birth, Paul Sebastian
- First Encounter - Tan Sri Clement Hii, john tiong chunghoo
- I Chose To Mickey With The Mouse, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Honey-Bee Lover, Paul Sebastian
- How real is This Truth?, michael walkerjohn
- What Bhagavad Gita is not, Bashyam Narayanan
- Sold, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Pain, Pain Knows No Race, Hebert Logerie
- God's Hands Of Love, Tom Zart
- Alone, Samantha Gronn