The Wanderer's Harp
I have been roaming on for days and days.
Ensnared in days, I wander on and on,
Whole days along my destined roads and ways,
As long as I am able, till I'm gone.
In morning's garden I found flowers sweet;
I trampled many of them as I went,
Yet briars – even more of them I met.
My gains were small, compared with what I spent.
It dawned on me through agony and fears
How blind it is, the universal mind;
Though all night long I listen to the stars
No harmony among them do I find.
Ah man, it is not given you to see
What lasts an hour, and what goes on for aye;
And where you, too, a droplet in a sea,
Are sent to quail, and wherefrom do you hail...
And so with drooping heart and downcast head
Prostrate, I wait and wait, all gloom despite,
For somebody to offer me his aid
To solve the riddle set by dark and light.
Jurgis Baltrušaitis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wanderer's Harp by Jurgis Baltrušaitis )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
Poem of the Day
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2015, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra
- Jadavpur And The Adda of Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- O Governor-Chancellor, I Am A Jadavpuria.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Jadavpur Campus, The Naxal And His Love .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Eternal Joys, ramesh rai