The day's wild ocean sings and thunders,
And beats against the fatal shore,
This breaker with dumb sorrow sunders,
And these like laughing victors roar,
Their sheen – one joy of vernal wonders,
Their sheen – vast winter's shining hoar.
In wrath triumphant forward swinging,
The lifted billow calls and fails,
A joyous giant shouting, singing,
Its voice the voice of sounding gales,
Its glory in the sunlight flinging,
Whose noonday glow it holds and hails.
Across the sea, now lightly foaming,
Another rears, that stirs the deep,
And floods the shore with the silence gloaming;
Morose and slow it seems to creep
Like one who drops, worn out with roaming,
From his bent back a fatal heap.
Each moment new, with changing power,
The surf is thundering alone.
Now idle, now it seems to lower,
Hymning a sylence all unknown,
Like a dark heart asleep, – for hour
On hour in restless monotone.
Jurgis Baltrušaitis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Surf by Jurgis Baltrušaitis )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Blue Collar Or White Collar Investments, Terence G. Craddock
- Minutes Of Gentle Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Peoples, Abdullah alHemaidy
- if i find a dumpster, would you move in .., Mandolyn ...
- Cinderella's Table Cloth, mary douglas
- Mother Culture's Lullbye - The Culling S.., Joseph DeMarco
- A Parody, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Prayer for the lost., David Lessard
- UGLY AGGRESSORS معتدون قبيحون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- SANDY AND MUSHMISH (THEY USED TO BE MY L.., MOHAMMAD SKATI