The Willow of Amity
A roaring river cuts through the land,
The river thins down at the bend,
the bend where I would play as a child,
And where now I stop to rest awhile.
Beside the river is an old willow tree,
It’s very presence comforts me,
For this is the same willow that cried amity,
On the day that we all lost hope.
This willow knows of great, great sorrow,
Of war that would come perhaps tomorrow,
Of stories untold and heroes unsung,
Knows much does this willow by water that runs.
Amity, amity, it sang in dark times,
Friendship, it called to a world torn with strife,
Peace, it asked of two nations at war,
Amity it called, to the heroes of lore.
The war had torn us all apart,
Had emptied our minds, clouded our hearts,
Wartime strategies were all that we knew,
Till the willow cried amity and hope of light grew.
And now as I sit in the willows embrace,
I know vengeance is gone, I am safe, I am safe.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Willow of Amity by Amity Willows )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Thanks for Remembering Us, Dana Gioia
Poem of the Day
- Brutality, gajanan mishra
- Blessings and mercy, hasmukh amathalal
- Manw..?, Swrji Basumatary
- She Came to Me, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Life Begins Again, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Good Soul, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Best Wishes My Love, Valentine Mbagu
- Relativity And Love, Sambanath Denis
- 2014, Joseph Archer
- For violating state law, Cyndi K. Gacosta