There Must Be More To Us
Of life after death the mystery has grown
And there must be more to us than flesh and bone
For the human remains the funeral bell may toll
But life goes on as usual for the soul.
I was born into christianity
But religion as such is not for me
Heaven and hell has a simplistic ring
And to such beliefs i have refused to cling.
I used to believe when i was a boy
Of this Land called Paradise beyond the sky
The souls of the good went to where angels dwell
And those who died in sin condemned to hell.
The priests they preached of the evils of sin
But they never told us of the God within
Their God lived remote from mankind i recall
But they never told us God lives in us all.
They only told us that their God was right
And that they and they alone had seen the light
And that to the one true diety they belong
And that all of those with different points of view were wrong.
Of life after death the mystery remain
For the dead have never come to life again
And when the funeral bell the ringer toll
I'd like to believe it's not for the soul.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (There Must Be More To Us by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Your Coronation, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- I Love You, How To Say, Get It Sent Acro.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Right To Prevail, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Scarecrow, Naveed Khalid
- Beav Cleave - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Hotel, Randy Resh
- I SLEEP FOR A FEW DREAMS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- I SLEEP FOR A DREAMS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- The Modern Indian English Poetess, Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Soul, Richard Bretton
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Farewell, William Wordsworth
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(3rd April 19sixty)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)