This is a Photograph of Me
It was taken some time ago
At first it seems to be
print: blurred lines and grey flecks
blended with the paper;
then, as you scan
it, you can see something in the left-hand corner
a thing that is like a branch: part of a tree
(balsam or spruce) emerging
and, to the right, halfway up
what ought to be a gentle
slope, a small frame house.
In the background there is a lake,
and beyond that, some low hills.
(The photograph was taken
the day after I drowned.
I am in the lake, in the center
of the picture, just under the surface.
It is difficult to say where
precisely, or to say
how large or how small I am:
the effect of water
on light is a distortion.
but if you look long enough
you will see me.)
Margaret Atwood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (This is a Photograph of Me by Margaret Atwood )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(June 7, 1943)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Queen Patrenialla - Part 2 Continued, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Mayling, Arno Le Roux
- Naming Our Wall, Arno Le Roux
- Oh Beautiful Arkansas, Dorsey Baker
- Those one thousand miles, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- New Amusement Park! EARTHUPERFUN, Mr. Nobody
- Queen Patrenialla - Part 2, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Queen Patrenialla The Story Poem, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- ET part 3, lee fones
- From Green To Gold, Rodrigo Diaz