This is a Photograph of Me
It was taken some time ago
At first it seems to be
print: blurred lines and grey flecks
blended with the paper;
then, as you scan
it, you can see something in the left-hand corner
a thing that is like a branch: part of a tree
(balsam or spruce) emerging
and, to the right, halfway up
what ought to be a gentle
slope, a small frame house.
In the background there is a lake,
and beyond that, some low hills.
(The photograph was taken
the day after I drowned.
I am in the lake, in the center
of the picture, just under the surface.
It is difficult to say where
precisely, or to say
how large or how small I am:
the effect of water
on light is a distortion.
but if you look long enough
you will see me.)
Margaret Atwood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (This is a Photograph of Me by Margaret Atwood )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Hind haiku (26-30), S.D. TIWARI
- Empathizing With Their Grievances, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Almost timeless, Gert Strydom
- #obamanation, A.j. Binash
- She broke in to me, Gert Strydom
- Fettered Birds By Bijay Kant Dubey, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Flash Fiction, Jose Armando Guzman
- Age-erasing Strategy .... [PERSONAL GRO.., Bri Edwards
- Thoughts, Alfred Barna
- Two Green Tomatoes Smashed In The Street, Mandolyn ...