To A Caged Cheetah
This is no place for creature such as you
In wired in prison here in Melbourne zoo
So many miles from home your own Country
Where you hunted and had fun and lived carefree.
You look at me with sad suspicious eyes
I'm human kind to you one of the boys
Who felled you with that tranquilizing dart
And placed you here to live with pining heart.
To your eyes all human faces look the same
And you stare at me as if I'm the one to blame
For bringing to your life great misery
Poor captive heart for that do not blame me.
There's deer nearby but them you cannot chase
And those athletic legs need miles and miles more space
Your territory one eight acre of ground
And no room for you to sport and race around.
And how heart breaking this for you must be
You pine for home the open territory
The gazelle hunt and the unequalled thrill
That climax in excitement with the kill.
And now you're prisoner here on foreign shore
And those great days for you can be no more
And you though innocent of any crime
Like life time prisoner must serve your time.
And in this place you live your final day
And Africa so many miles away
And all day long you pacing up and down
Here in your pen in distant Melbourne Town.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To A Caged Cheetah by Francis Duggan )
- How to Pinda-Dana?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- We are neighbors, gajanan mishra
- Sonnet: How Cancers Kill!, Dr John Celes
- My love xi, binod bastola
- आंहा उदै बुंजासे आदार गैया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Cutting Edge, Satish Verma
- Will never love nor marry unless, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Image of God, gajanan mishra
- Countrification, bill costley
- Not Alone At All, Francie Lynch
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)