Dr. Charles A Stone
To Enchant A Garden
On a night the new moon
is chased by witch-struck clouds,
throw a rose into the air
and bury a silver spoon
where it lands. Write the name
of your lover in the mulch
with the index finger of your left hand.
Light a luminaria for each pet
that has preceded you into the afterglow.
Arrange the luminarias in a circle and
walk around them three times
in a counter-clockwise direction.
If an owl hoots in the distance, whisper
the name of your mother until it stops.
In the northeast corner of the garden
release a firefly from a glass jar
while reciting a love poem. Fill the jar
with freshly cut rosemary leaves
and bury it near a potted plant.
Mark the pot with a large X, drawn
with a branch from the rosemary plant.
Make a wish for all your children
while breathing on a silk scarf
which has been passed twice
over the unopened buds of a rose bush.
Unfold the scarf with a gentle flourish
and tie it in the branches of a large tree
while saying your favorite colors.
Invoking the names of St. Christopher and
St. Francis, turn a full circle in each direction
and return to your house through an unlit door.
No evil will ever visit your garden. It will
always be a place of peace and harmony
which you can visit throughout the season
and in your dreams on cold winter nights.
Dr. Charles A Stone's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Enchant A Garden by Dr. Charles A Stone )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen