To Hell Or To Connacht
To Hell or to Connacht was Cromwells's war cry
To poor Irish tenant farmers his cruel words did apply
Cromwell was a war criminal the facts never lie
To Hell or to Connacht were his words or die.
When Cromwell handed over the command of the Royalist Troops to Henry Ireton the results were the same
In human history their treatment of poor Irish people is a human shame
In their conquests of Ireland thousands of people died
Any form of human rights of them was denied.
Poor Irish tenant farmers were put on the road
To Connacht or to die of no fixed abode
Oliver Cromwell and Henry Ireton were far worse than cruel
They were despotic leaders who abused their rule.
Anyone who knows of history surely do know
Of the atrocities of the Crown forces in Ireland three and a half centuries ago
Cromwell and Ireton were horrible men
They must have been born in the Devil's den.
Some look on past history as over and gone
But in Ireland to Hell or to Connacht those words do live on
And thousands on walking to Connacht died of hunger and cold
The poor and forgotten their life stories untold.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Hell Or To Connacht by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Fires Of Blazing Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- AS LONG AS AGGRESSION GOES ON, THEN PEOP.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Timeless Aging Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- CUPS AND LUMPS, maqsood hasni
- How can i be against Marriage?, Anand Vivek
- Thoughts Of Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Genuine Soulmate, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- DON'T BE WORRIED, maqsood hasni
- Choice still in hand, maqsood hasni
- No Understanding Of Fate, RoseAnn V. Shawiak