To Whistler, American
On the loan exhibit of his paintings at the Tate Gallery.
You also, our first great,
Had tried all ways;
Tested and pried and worked in many fashions,
And this much gives me heart to play the game.
Here is part that's slight, and part gone wrong,
And much of little moment, and some few
Perfect as Diirer!
'In the Studio' and these two portraits, if I had my choice!
And then these sketches in the mood of Greece?
You had your searches, your uncertainties,
And this is good to know for us, I mean,
Who bear the brunt of our America
And try to wrench her impulse into art.
You were not always sure, not always set
To hiding night or tuning ^symphonies';
Had not one style from birth, but tried and pried
And stretched and tampered with the media.
You and Abe Lincoln from that mass of dolts
Show us there's chance at least of winning through.
Ezra Pound's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Whistler, American by Ezra Pound )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- There's Been a Horror in the Opposite Ho.., Ismim Putera
- TWO KINDS OF WOMEN, Philo Yan
- The House in the Coconut Farm, Ismim Putera
- Al-Quran and Al-Muqaddam, Ismim Putera
- Why Bathe in the Gutter? Cosmic Love, li.., LUVinThe NOW
- Jeans and Sarong, Ismim Putera
- Removed, Ismim Putera
- Tudung and Selendang, Ismim Putera
- Digital Children, Ismim Putera
- The Malay Adat, Ismim Putera