Tombstones in the Starlight
I. The Minor Poet
His little trills and chirpings were his best.
No music like the nightingale's was born
Within his throat; but he, too, laid his breast
Upon a thorn.
II. The Pretty Lady
She hated bleak and wintry things alone.
All that was warm and quick, she loved too well-
A light, a flame, a heart against her own;
It is forever bitter cold, in Hell.
III. The Very Rich Man
He'd have the best, and that was none too good;
No barrier could hold, before his terms.
He lies below, correct in cypress wood,
And entertains the most exclusive worms.
IV. The Fisherwoman
The man she had was kind and clean
And well enough for every day,
But, oh, dear friends, you should have seen
The one that got away!
V. The Crusader
Arrived in Heaven, when his sands were run,
He seized a quill, and sat him down to tell
The local press that something should be done
About that noisy nuisance, Gabriel.
VI. The Actress
Her name, cut clear upon this marble cross,
Shines, as it shone when she was still on earth;
While tenderly the mild, agreeable moss
Obscures the figures of her date of birth.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tombstones in the Starlight by Dorothy Parker )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
Poem of the Day
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- An Umbrella, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Cloudless Rain, Aftab Alam