Jimmy Santiago Baca
Too Much of a Good Thing
Snow’s been melting too soon—
passing the Río Grande every day, I note
water level is high,
all flowing down river.
when I need to irrigate pastures
and there is no water?
Farmers get edgy.
Start cursing neighbors under their breath
for using too much water.
only one alfalfa cutting
instead of three,
no feed for cows,
no money to buy feed . . .
and then like it happened a few years ago,
Mr. Gonzales goes out
and you hear rifle shots blister
cold morning air,
and you know his cattle
are falling in snow,
At Coronado Center, biggest shopping mall
in New Mexico, I hear two suntanned ladies
praising our wonderful weather. I give them
a glance, throw my gloves
on the counter for the cashier, and wonder what
a farmer’s wife would tell them.
Jimmy Santiago Baca's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Too Much of a Good Thing by Jimmy Santiago Baca )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- COPLA CINCUENTA Y NUEVE: This Bad Guy Wo.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- When I say - sad, gajanan mishra
- season affair, jerome moore
- tussen het systeem, co the skipper
- Tomorrow, Suchoon Mo_
- Now and then, marriam anderson
- Black cat, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- What is justice?, marriam anderson
- D Darkness …, marriam anderson
- محاولة تشكيلية لرسم بيروت, نزار قباني