When he was tired of building new defence
For princes who would never understand,
Da Vinci sat and watched the sea grow old.
His heart could not remember what to hold.
The walls and fine art would of course remain
Although the need for either had long gone.
Redundancies, the heart survives them all,
But after each encounter builds a wall.
Time passes and its flanks are undermined
The fortress loses face, the moating fills.
When function dies, stone alone is left.
Leonardo understood this death.
He lived for saving life and knew its space,
He’d recognise the distance we must keep.
We’d stand together, watch a river flow,
I’d touch your face. I’d know you also know
That every stone, every line and stroke,
Leaves a scar that whitens past recall;
Castles, drawings, love will each erode;
The tired defences will outlive us all.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trace Italienne by John Staveley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Death Of A Naturalist, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- Out Of My Head, Anuradha Singh
- Revealing life in Death, Angell Afinowi
- The Jujube Tree And Me, Madathil Nair
- AM HOOKED IN YOUR TRUE LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- Coffee And Cream Chocolates, Michael P. McParland
- Bless You Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- You at the Center, rosalinda flores rosevoc
- Odia Poem- Brukshya Debata, Jitendra seth
- The Sorry Band-Aid, william upton
- Odia Poem- SATHI, Jitendra seth