True Structure of the Sonnet Should Be Observ'd by Authors of Genius Who Thus Entitle Their Poem
Ye, whose aspirings court the Muse of lays
'Severest of those orders which belong
Distinct and separate to Delphic song'
Why shun the sonnet's undulating maze?
Or why its name, boast of Petrarcan days,
Assume, its rules disown'd?-whom from the throng
The Muse selects, their ear the charm obeys
Of its full harmony:-they fear to wrong
The sonnet by adorning with a name
Of that distinguisht import, lays, though sweet,
Yet not in magic texture taught to meet
Of that so varied and peculiar frame.
O think, to vindicate its genuine praise
Those it becomes whose lyre a favoring impulse sways.
Capel Lofft's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (True Structure of the Sonnet Should Be Observ'd by Authors of Genius Who Thus Entitle Their Poem by Capel Lofft )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- MAGICless, Suburban Lovechild
- Buds Of Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- quiet in the library, lee fones
- If my shoes could talk, Maverick Jones
- All That I Know, Suburban Lovechild
- I Remained Silent, Lilly Emery
- They touched My Shoulder, Buxton Shippy
- The Outcast, Maverick Jones
- COLORS الالوان, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- dont mess with granny smith, lee fones