Knights bedecked in iron mail
'Neath colored tunics came
To slaughter those of different stripe
All for gold and fame.
Men dressed in lace and scarlet coat
In ranks marched off to fall
Cut down by those in different coats
With sword and musket ball.
Mothers' sons from North and South
Wearing blue and brown
Met to lie together
In death upon the ground.
Uber men in deaths-head black
With scant a nod or wave
Sent the ones in star-marked coats
To ovens and to graves.
Dressed alike in charcoal gray
In board room or in bank
The rich display their privilege
Over those of lesser rank.
The uniform of everyone
Is the one I choose to wear
The uniform God made for all
Is what I choose to bare.
Dressed in wind and sun and sky
I greet with warm embrace
Those whose only uniform
Is of the human race.
The uniform I'll die in
Is that which I was born.
Sad this gentle uniform
Is fraught with shame and scorn.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('Uniforms' by Joel Delpha )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Real hell, Amitie Abedi
- I'll Never Leave You, Michael P. McParland
- NeverEnding Story Tanka, Chenou Liu
- A stranger, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I'll Never, Michael P. McParland
- I'll Always Work Hard, Michael P. McParland
- To Mr. Blanchard, the Celebrated Aeronau.., Philip Freneau
- Sherman, Kim Barney
- If I Could, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Carol,, Luo Zhihai