Knights bedecked in iron mail
'Neath colored tunics came
To slaughter those of different stripe
All for gold and fame.
Men dressed in lace and scarlet coat
In ranks marched off to fall
Cut down by those in different coats
With sword and musket ball.
Mothers' sons from North and South
Wearing blue and brown
Met to lie together
In death upon the ground.
Uber men in deaths-head black
With scant a nod or wave
Sent the ones in star-marked coats
To ovens and to graves.
Dressed alike in charcoal gray
In board room or in bank
The rich display their privilege
Over those of lesser rank.
The uniform of everyone
Is the one I choose to wear
The uniform God made for all
Is what I choose to bare.
Dressed in wind and sun and sky
I greet with warm embrace
Those whose only uniform
Is of the human race.
The uniform I'll die in
Is that which I was born.
Sad this gentle uniform
Is fraught with shame and scorn.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('Uniforms' by Joel Delpha )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.