UPON YOUR 18TH BIRTHDAY
You made it!
You reached the goal!
Finally the day has come, and all those years of wanting and waiting have come to pass.
Here you stand full measure against the world.
No more do you have to obey or listen. No more do you have to answer to anyone but yourself.
The day for reckoning has come and gone.
The new era has started and a new life begun.
The path you choose be smooth and easy or rocky and hard it is yours to own.
No longer tied to Mom or Dad you are now an adult.
Your backpack ready to be filled with new places and people.
May it always to be light upon your back never filled with heavy rocks of burdens.
The tools to live and prosper by have been given to you lovingly through these years.
The door is open just walk through to enter your new world and be the person you wish to be.
Blessing and well wishes go with you.
A mother’s love and prayers will always follow. I know that there will be times of heartbreak but also times of love and joy. But each will make up your adult life and hopefully bring you peace at the end.
Ragingheart 062304-Jeffrey Allen Porter
Rhonda Davis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (UPON YOUR 18TH BIRTHDAY by Rhonda Davis )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death Be Not Proud, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal
- Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- The Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- Absence, Neela Nath
- Not Knowing What Might Have Been, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The rising, gajanan mishra
- Flowing Water, Vera Sidhwa
- Cooling Water, Vera Sidhwa