NOW I make a leaf of Voices--for I have found nothing mightier than
And I have found that no word spoken, but is beautiful, in its place.
O what is it in me that makes me tremble so at voices?
Surely, whoever speaks to me in the right voice, him or her I shall
As the water follows the moon, silently, with fluid steps, anywhere
around the globe.
All waits for the right voices;
Where is the practis'd and perfect organ? Where is the develop'd
For I see every word utter'd thence, has deeper, sweeter, new sounds,
impossible on less terms.
I see brains and lips closed--tympans and temples unstruck,
Until that comes which has the quality to strike and to unclose, 10
Until that comes which has the quality to bring forth what lies
slumbering, forever ready, in all words.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Voices by Walt Whitman )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- there's a pretty plum sky and then there.., Mandolyn ...
- Revealed, John Onyeme
- Groom is the Cadaver, Pintu Mahakul
- Sleep deprived, Matthew Holloway
- More Than Just Memories, David Whalen
- Legacy, Matthew Holloway
- EVERY ACTION HAS ITS REACTION لكل فعل رد.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hatred Is Black, Rich Reitz
- EVERY ACTION ITS REACTION لكل فعل ردة فعله, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Happiness Is Gold, Rich Reitz