I have not asked in many years
though all my friends and learned peers
pick willy-nilly so it seems
a Valentine straight from their dreams.
Of course, good etiquette demands
that those who've claimed another's hands
be on the list for chocolates
and maybe for some other bits
a Beaujolais, Valpolicella
the onus is on the good fella
and shops stay open to fulfill
big wishes and to stuff the till.
It seems that one declares his pick
it's just like putting one's small tick
to activate computerware
and BINGO, says the card 'I Care',
it has become a bland routine
but is essential in the scene.
I will, this year take an old feather,
of goose, though still uncertain whether
the one whose LOVE is my great hope
will want me writing, I'm a dope
and often feel a trifle timid
instead of going for the limit.
Well, I shall write from my own heart
some words will lift me, others smart,
and, in the end she'll understand
that she can have my sweaty hand
and if she wants, the rest of me
which would confirm the promise WE.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (We by Herbert Nehrlich )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Expression Eruption: Confidence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- An Indian English Ph.D. Thesis On Modern.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- the half truth, Dr Puneet Aggarwal
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra