What is a Story?
A story is nothing but tales that you tell.
If it's a true one it creates a spell.
For the listener is rapt by the plot itself.
It can never stay idle upon a shelf.
How many stories have been passed along
By family members who remember wrong?
So stories can change and make you stray
From what was told in a long ago day.
Stories are what our lives are made of.
They're based on hurts and fears and love.
Stories are best if they are told by those
Who have lived the memories they now disclose.
Everyone's story can awaken in you
Just what it is that they've been through.
So listen and learn and when they're done,
Tell them your story and now you've begun
To interact with others who love a tale.
They'll listen to you and without fail
It will bring you closer because you share
With all the listeners that are there.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What is a Story? by Edwina Reizer )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Sheer Columns, Lisa Williams
- Report Of A Journey, Abraham Sutzkever
- Signs, Abraham Sutzkever
- Falling Water, Abraham Sutzkever
- My Armor, Abraham Sutzkever
- Barefoot, Abraham Sutzkever
- To an Exterminator, Lisa Williams
- Branch With Last Cherries, Abraham Sutzkever
- Brooding Eels, Lisa Williams
- Land Of My Children, Abraham Sutzkever