When Words Fail
I once thought words held everything,
Each dream and thought and sight.
They could express the heart and soul
Make the leaden spirit take flight.
I thought that every feeling inside
Could be released by a single sound,
But then I met someone – you
And words crashed to the ground.
No word could show just how I feel
When our eyes meet one another
Or how your voice can lift my heart
Make it dance like no other.
No phrase or sentence could rightly express
The joy that springs to life
When you glance my way – Oh! How
Your gaze cuts like a knife.
No word is nearly quite sufficient
To explan the rapturous times
Your hand, by fault or accident,
Lightly brushes mine.
I’ve written verse, book, and song,
With words varied and grand,
But never come across one for you
In any time or land.
And so I’ve never told you
What I feel inside,
And till I find words to suffice
My love I’ll softly hide.
Sophia White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When Words Fail by Sophia White )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 February 1970-)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Carpe Diem, Naveed Khalid
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Tumhe main Peyar Nehi de, Kumar Vishwas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- Poem N10, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N9, Kristian Djordjanov
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Poem N6, Kristian Djordjanov
- Blesses Be, Clara Keiper
- Poem N5, Kristian Djordjanov
- Glowing Face, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan