White Painted Houses
White painted houses are in a row
with the cobalt-blue ocean as a background
and the colours are changing constantly
as the sun lowers itself over the horizon
and the water turns to purple-pink.
Colourful are the fishing boats
coming into the small harbour
and everywhere barefoot children are to be seen.
The catch is being sold
while men talk about the events of the day
spent on the water
and it's as if a play is unfolding,
inviting you to come and sit down
as you watch from a distance
while the day draws to an end.
A seagull swoops past
to scavenge something to eat
and in the distance someone
drives away a stray dog.
The housewives with their colourful head-clothes
are gathering around the boats to buy
and to catch the news of the day.
A kaleidoscope of people
and an array of aromas does fill the night air
while everyone is talking simultaneously.
As they part to go home.
the evening arrives and the sky becomes dark,
lights have to be turned on
and the houses are etched of
as the day does disappear.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (White Painted Houses by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Only answer, hasmukh amathalal
- Mirrored Past, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- insert emotion here, Mandolyn ...
- Prince Johnson's Cannibalism, Richard Thripp
- Rain Colors, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- THE BEATLES' MEDICAL PROBLEMS, Richard Thripp
- The black color, hasmukh amathalal
- Inner Wastelands, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Wildly Spinning Dirt Clod, Monk E. Biz
- Moon -haiku, Dr PJ Raj Kamal