Who Are You?
I sit and watch
From my place on the bench
Where I twiddle my fingers around
My notebook and pen
My plan is to think
My thoughts remain free
As I watch a man
Hastily run over to me.
He falls onto the bench and releases a grin
I take off my hat
And then I begin.
“Who are you? ”
I ask sounding nice
“I am person.”
He quickly replies.
“But who are you? ”
I repeat with edge.
“I am me.”
He says staring down at the bench.
“Yes, I know most everyone does.
But who is me? ”
I say nice enough.
“I’m sorry, but I
Don’t know what you mean.”
“Goodness my friend! ”
My hands now on my knees
“Who are you, just a simple
Question, that’s all.”
“I’m afraid I don’t get it.”
He says looking foul
“Well don’t be afraid! ”
I say feeling startled
“I’m not- it’s just—oh
Forget it! ” He snarls.
He looks slightly frustrated,
This makes no sense to me
But I let him cool off
While I stare at the street
When a minute is up
I glance at the sky and say
“Who are you? ”
His head slowly does rise.
“I guess I don’t know. No
Ones asked me in the past.”
“I just asked you a second ago.”
This makes him laugh.
“That is true.”
He replies and catches his breath.
“Oh, I know, ” I say
I put my hat on my head.
“So who are you? ” I ask once again.
“I don’t know the answer to that
Question my friend.”
“What is the meaning of life through
There’s a path split in two, do you choose left,
Which way to go?
Which sky to see?
All of your answers are not up to me.”
“What do you mean? ” He asks very confused.
“Who are you? ” I ask feeling very amused.
Seconds go by and I
Wish him “good day.”
Take a bow,
And head on my way.
As I walk new ideas get brighter and brighter
Then I hear his voice,
“Who are you? ” He asks
I reply “I am a writer.”
Katy Lue's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Who Are You? by Katy Lue )
- The Chance, Michael McParland
- Going Home, Douglas McClarty
- I AM THE DRAGON, Philo Yan
- Let us welcome, hasmukh amathalal
- First In My Life, Latha Krishnan
- Cheenti ki maut (Hindi) चींटी की मौत, S.D. TIWARI
- Even If You're Not A Poet, Call You That.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Truly Love you, Michael McParland
- The Third Person, Latha Krishnan
- This Body And This Mind, Neela Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)