Who Is Happier?
In the twilight of an beautiful eve
When the Sun is delicious red,
Comes a poodle for a walk
Along the river bed.
The poodle's eye catches upon
A stray dog with a bone,
Comes and talks with the dog
With cold looks and a sarcastic tone.
Says the poodle'My friend, dear
I feel sympathized
the way you suck that sort of thing
makes my heart agonize'.
'you wonder and roam here and there,
with hopes that you may find
to fill your empty tummy with
food of some ugly kind'.
'My master's place I do dwell,
offers me a splendid meal
chicken stew and egg muffin,
with sausage rolls to deal.
When the sky's dark and clouds burst out
I have shelter over my head,
But friend you drench all that eve
Along this river bed.
Friend, its fate that's all I say
that you breathe such a breath,
Indeed to live such a life
Is worse that to attain death.'
The poor dog listens silently
And being the least disturbed,
looks up to the poodle
and asks if that's what he heard
Says He the poor thing....
'Brother look at your shoulder,
That collar is no better than a boulder
you're tied up dear, always
when you eat, walk, bark, run or laze.
I have the sky walking with me,
In free air I do breathe
My life may be tough as you see,
But that doesn't matter and am happy,
As I have no one controlling me
I am glad that I am free'.
zubiya surti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Who Is Happier? by zubiya surti )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley
- Strangers Welcome, Kewayne Wadley
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham
- A Most Happy Holiday, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie