Between the old
And majestic mountains,
There lay within the woods
Many a concern.
The wind howled and branches, stalwart trees
Alike, with the young,
Strained and broke.
Then came the season with nature’s gift of needs.
Some rationalization bloomed amongst the weeds.
Was it thus
For the old, the ancient, the grizzled ones
Who meandered here
And there, who stopped to inspect the stream
That flowed down
Between the time worn stones?
The water so clear?
Was it some ritual they’d done before?
The past stood before them, stood with brilliance, a display
That never had betrayed. How then could anything go astray?
Beneath the blue sky.
It rested on the mossy bank.
With eyes aglow, and some bowed heads,
Rounded backs bent, they drank
Guardedly, for time shared not what of tomorrow
It wanted. Perhaps time might choose
To anoint one with grief?
Before they leave, will they take a moment to go back in memory
To the place to where they were born? Who knows?
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Who Knows? by Jackie Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Snowflakes, Kwai Chee Low
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Haiku Christmas is Here, Kwai Chee Low
- Snowman, Kwai Chee Low
- Heralding Christmas, Kwai Chee Low
- Under the Mistletoe, Kwai Chee Low
- Silent Nature, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sorry, Sorry, Sorry To Say That, Pijush Biswas
- Let Me Stand Here, gajanan mishra
- Quack, Quack says the Duck, Kumarmani Mahakul