Why Can't I Simply Retire In Quiet?
WHY CAN’T I SIMPLY RETIRE IN QUIET
Why can’t I simply retire in quiet
At peace with what I have done?
What is this ‘greed’ in me
Which always needs to write more
Which always seeks a greater recognition?
Which always expects some future day
In which all will be made alright?
What is this greed in me
Which needs to go on and on
As if I were forever young in hope?
Why can’t I simply rest in peace in my own life
And quietly accept I have done what I have done
And now am free to enjoy my life
As best I can
Until the end?
Shalom Freedman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why Can't I Simply Retire In Quiet? by Shalom Freedman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight at Noon (for Charles Mingus and .., Adrian Henri
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- Toll of human safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I am not ready to say I am unfortunate, gajanan mishra
- Yesterday's Snow, Marilyn Lott
- Ego, Denise Duhamel
- Life and Heaven, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Rain Song, Khaled Mattawa
- Childhood Stories, Matthew Rohrer
- Christmas, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My Pretty Rose Tree, Luo Zhihai
- What the Body Told, Rafael Campo