George Gordon Byron
Written After Swimming from Sestos to Abydos
If, in the month of dark December,
Leander, who was nightly wont
(What maid will not the tale remember?)
To cross thy stream, broad Hellespont!
If, when the wintry tempest roar'd,
He sped to Hero, nothing loth,
And thus of old thy current pour'd,
Fair Venus! how I pity both!
For me, degenerate modern wretch,
Though in the genial month of May,
My dripping limbs I faintly stretch,
And think I've done a feat today.
But since he cross'd the rapid tide,
According to the doubtful story,
To woo, -- and -- Lord knows what beside,
And swam for Love, as I for Glory;
'Twere hard to say who fared the best:
Sad mortals! thus the gods still plague you!
He lost his labour, I my jest;
For he was drown'd, and I've the ague.
George Gordon Byron's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Written After Swimming from Sestos to Abydos by George Gordon Byron )
Did you read them?
- iphone6+▣오피뷰▣ 동묘오피 대전오피 논란「OPGANDA/COM」, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- THAT TWINKLE IN GOD'S EYES, michael walkerjohn
- Heart aches bleed, Brian Kilpatrick
- The feed on the darkness, Brian Kilpatrick
- Suffocation, Leong Ming Loong
- My Mind's Eye, Margaret Alice Second
- Ego, Leong Ming Loong
- OPGANDA/COM≡오피뷰≡ UEFA ∥강서오피대박∥▣∥종로오피∥, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- iphone6+▣오피뷰▣ 서초오피 동대문오피 논란「OPGANDA/COM」, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- Am I a cynic?, Khairul Ahsan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)