Written For Two Young Children
Goodbye Peter and Eileen
Soon you leave the woodland green
And sad am I to see you go
As you were nice so nice to know.
Brief too brief has been your stay
And it's back to home base on sunday
Many miles from the high country
And the wood of Renanairee.
Each morning by your grand ma's gate
On my arival you would wait
And whoop aloud in sheer delight
When I'd hand you that chocolate bite.
John Masefield the immortal poet
In his poem The Everlasting Mercy' wrote
'That he who gives a child a treat
Make joybells ring in heaven's street'.
And those words as ever ring true
Go treat a child and they love you
But cynicism comes with age
When children reach the adult stage.
Now when you return home you can
Tell how you met with mountainy man
Who cut down trees for his livelihood
In high country in State owned wood.
Farewell Eileen and brother Pete
And though we never more may meet
I'll remember you for many a day
Though you be far so far away.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Written For Two Young Children by Francis Duggan )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- The song of a bird - a translation of a .., Ravikumar C.P.
Poem of the Day
- Rescued, Ima Ryma
- Temptation of Xuanwu Lake, Luo Zhihai
- Ghazal: In Silence, Mimi Khalvati
- Awaiting for March, Rimni chakravarty
- Of Snowdrape On Winterscape..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Made Electric By The Moon, Is It Poetry
- Dawn, Rinzen Norbu
- Season of Laziness, Rimni chakravarty
- There's no tree that won't ever bend, Tanya K.Tuomi
- Dragon is just sleeping, Tanya K.Tuomi