Ye Carpette Knyghte
I have a horse - a ryghte good horse -
Ne doe Y envye those
Who scoure ye playne yn headye course
Tyll soddayne on theyre nose
They lyghte wyth unexpected force
Yt ys - a horse of clothes.
I have a saddel - "Say'st thou soe?
Wyth styrruppes, Knyghte, to boote?"
I sayde not that - I answere "Noe" -
Yt lacketh such, I woote:
Yt ys a mutton-saddel, loe!
Parte of ye fleecye brute.
I have a bytte - a ryghte good bytte -
As shall bee seene yn tyme.
Ye jawe of horse yt wyll not fytte;
Yts use ys more sublyme.
Fayre Syr, how deemest thou of yt?
Yt ys - thys bytte of rhyme.
Lewis Carroll's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: horse
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ye Carpette Knyghte by Lewis Carroll )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Assuredly بالتأكيد, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We Become Our Choices, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Struck matches, Mark Heathcote
- Kent Sands Crustations, John Fitzgerald
- What I am, V P Mahur
- Call Of Jesus, V P Mahur
- Ignorance And Arrogance, Margaret Alice Second
- Fight, Leong Ming Loong
- This can't be You, V P Mahur
- Absolution, John Fitzgerald