You Are Not A Poet
When hurt, a person cries.
When bereaved, a person wails.
When broken down, a person sobs.
When cheated in love, a person weeps.
You are not a poet, if you cannot understand,
All these cries, wails, fits of sobbing or silent weeping.
A drop of tear may look
Like a pearl when it hangs from an eye.
The beholder knows how difficult it is to hold
Or suppress a falling tear. Desperately s/he wishes
The tear to dry off before it rolls down or is seen by others.
You are not a poet, if you do not see the pain behind the pearl.
When the voice is muted, the eyes speak.
When both are lost by distance, a person writes.
When the pen stops, the piano lends voice to the
Feelings of the heart. The unspoken words are then
Narrated through the variations of the musical notes.
You are not a poet, if you cannot translate the tune.
Khairul Ahsan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
16 February 2014
Comments about this poem (You Are Not A Poet by Khairul Ahsan )
Did you read them?
- The grass, gajanan mishra
- But we are one, gajanan mishra
- You are my sweet lovely heart, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- I am the time, Aftab Alam
- The one who is blessed by the God is su.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Angel, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Malaria, hasmukh amathalal
- The life we have lived, Goodenough Sakhile Dlamini
- At our will, hasmukh amathalal
- See the fishes, hasmukh amathalal