Rainer Maria Rilke
You Who Never Arrived
You who never arrived
in my arms, Beloved, who were lost
from the start,
I don't even know what songs
would please you. I have given up trying
to recognize you in the surging wave of
the next moment. All the immense
images in me -- the far-off, deeply-felt
landscape, cities, towers, and bridges, and
unsuspected turns in the path,
and those powerful lands that were once
pulsing with the life of the gods--
all rise within me to mean
you, who forever elude me.
You, Beloved, who are all
the gardens I have ever gazed at,
longing. An open window
in a country house-- , and you almost
stepped out, pensive, to meet me.
Streets that I chanced upon,--
you had just walked down them and vanished.
And sometimes, in a shop, the mirrors
were still dizzy with your presence and,
startled, gave back my too-sudden image.
Who knows? Perhaps the same
bird echoed through both of us
yesterday, separate, in the evening...
Rainer Maria Rilke's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (You Who Never Arrived by Rainer Maria Rilke )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- मोखांजोँ मोखां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Walton/Walmart Chinese Club, Richard Thripp
- sharing a cup of civet coffee, RIC S. BASTASA
- and they will love you for it, RIC S. BASTASA
- that old streetcar already named desire, RIC S. BASTASA
- an ailing wind, RIC S. BASTASA
- mistaken......, RIC S. BASTASA
- All I'm Looking For, Angel Gibbs
- To You, With Love, Fareez Nasir
- For smooth sailing, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.