Giorgos Seferis Poems
- The Jasmin
- The Leaf Of The Poplar It trembled so, the wind set it ...
- Santorini - The Naked Child Bend if you can to the dark sea ...
- In The Sea Caves In the sea caves there's a thirst there's a...
- Denial On the secret seashore white like a pigeon we ...
- Just A Little More Just a little more And we shall see the...
Giorgos or George Seferis was the pen name of Geōrgios Seferiádēs. He was one of the most important Greek poets of the 20th century, and a Nobel laureate. He was also a career diplomat in the Greek Foreign Service, culminating in his appointment as Ambassador to the UK, a post which he held from 1957 to 1962.
Seferis was born in Urla (Greek: Βουρλά) near Smyrna in Asia Minor, Ottoman Empire (now İzmir, Turkey). His father, Stelios Seferiadis, was a lawyer, and later a professor at the University of Athens, as well as a poet and translator in his own right. He was also a staunch Venizelist and a supporter of the demotic Greek language over the formal, official ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Whether it's dusk
or dawn's first light
the jasmin stays