A B C of poetry
Here are some subjects of which I have written
in blank verse, or free, or in rhyme.
I’ve tabulated twenty-six or so,
but might think of more, given time.
Arts and music show our humanity,
but Birds and Beasts also have passions.
Celebrations of joy, or Death and grief,
Events of all kinds inspire Emotions.
F tells of Friends and Family;
G and H, Garden and Home;
and I is Inspiration,
sometimes slow to come.
Jokes and humour entertain us,
or may have the power to move;
and K could be the Key to all secrets
of Language, Life and Love.
Metamorphosis and Magic can change our lives,
and the Natural world can surprise.
Objects of all kinds may inspire,
and Places we visit can open our eyes.
Quirky poems may be Quaint,
though Religion is generally serious.
Scenery and landscape surround us,
but Time is deeply mysterious.
Unfortunately my index doesn’t include
any subjects beginning with U;
but I do have Verse-forms of various kinds,
Villanelle, sonnet, decima, haiku….
Weather and seasons influence us,
and pastiches (by X) may be fun.
Youth and age come to us all in time,
and Z shows a poem’s a fantasy one.
As you see, I’ve forced into an alphabet
some subjects I’ve treated in verse,
and if this is not one of my best poems,
at least I can console myself by thinking that if I had written it differently it could have been a lot worse.
Paul Hansford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A B C of poetry by Paul Hansford )
- Khalani zinyoni vele nizolibusa, senzokhaya umhayi
- Fever power, hasmukh amathalal
- Inside a tomb, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sithandwa sami sokuqala, senzokhaya umhayi
- Ngimbonile ufikile uhambile, senzokhaya umhayi
- Ngizokulinda ubuye, senzokhaya umhayi
- Zulu lezintandane, senzokhaya umhayi
- JANICE'S DRESS., Terry Collett
- Thando unjani, senzokhaya umhayi
- Sweet And Lovely Words, Edward Kofi Louis