A B C of poetry
Here are some subjects of which I have written
in blank verse, or free, or in rhyme.
I’ve tabulated twenty-six or so,
but might think of more, given time.
Arts and music show our humanity,
but Birds and Beasts also have passions.
Celebrations of joy, or Death and grief,
Events of all kinds inspire Emotions.
F tells of Friends and Family;
G and H, Garden and Home;
and I is Inspiration,
sometimes slow to come.
Jokes and humour entertain us,
or may have the power to move;
and K could be the Key to all secrets
of Language, Life and Love.
Metamorphosis and Magic can change our lives,
and the Natural world can surprise.
Objects of all kinds may inspire,
and Places we visit can open our eyes.
Quirky poems may be Quaint,
though Religion is generally serious.
Scenery and landscape surround us,
but Time is deeply mysterious.
Unfortunately my index doesn’t include
any subjects beginning with U;
but I do have Verse-forms of various kinds,
Villanelle, sonnet, decima, haiku….
Weather and seasons influence us,
and pastiches (by X) may be fun.
Youth and age come to us all in time,
and Z shows a poem’s a fantasy one.
As you see, I’ve forced into an alphabet
some subjects I’ve treated in verse,
and if this is not one of my best poems,
at least I can console myself by thinking that if I had written it differently it could have been a lot worse.
Paul Hansford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A B C of poetry by Paul Hansford )
- Villanelle, Peter Jay Shippy
- First comes a riddle, Ahmed Tawfik
- My Father was a Farmer: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- It's Hard to Imagine That Nothing At All.., Peter Jay Shippy
- How cruel are the parents, Robert Burns
- Things change, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lines to an Old Sweetheart, Robert Burns
- To Miss Ferrier, enclosing Elegy on Sir .., Robert Burns
- Rhyming Reply to a Note from Captain Rid.., Robert Burns
- I Murder hate, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns