A Backwards Look In The Mirror
I've seen those eyes before like pack-ice
Residuary-melting, scraped off the floor
Beats me how an addict, beats the count
And rises; from the canvas once more.
I've seen the glue-sniffers dazed, erect
Wallflowers with those same sad eyes
That says nobody even cares for me.
'Now that loves taking its leave I devise.
To drink, listen to the clink, clink—clink
Of ice till I'm once again, ready to rise'.
Gaze …eons into the future and bethink.
The love of a woman will be my prize.
Topic of this poem: poem
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Backwards Look In The Mirror by Mark Heathcote )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Global Mother Sarada, Tushar Ray
- Plateau Of Relief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Candles, Leong Ming Loong
- Realtor - Twas the Month Before Christmas, Tim Halladay
- Freedome Of Interior Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pain and Love Thoughts, Tiger Auntunette
- THE PROXY, michael walkerjohn
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro
- My Poetic Existence, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..