A Chance of Seasons
Virgin flowers –
first taste of new life.
Stargazer lilies scent
Rolling waves of green grass,
pollen platoons invade air –
poetry reads well under a tree.
Sun made tea
sits on the ledge of the balcony
as the city wakes below.
Lying on a towel above burnt cement,
dead air-conditioner –
sound track of katydids.
Summer’s heat; soft pavement –
clouds drift through streets.
Scarlet leaves smear
the highway borders
through perspiring eyes.
Harvest Moon – red,
streaked with black clouds –
light from moon –
frost by morning.
Burning wind of frost,
guidance of lunar reflective glow;
shovel warms from earned friction.
An autumn chill,
a graveyard’s swaying trees –
sunlight bathes the hearse.
cemented sky –
dry leaves crowd my shoes.
The face smiles its lunar grin,
making a path along the water;
the cold tide goes to sleep.
Snow covers the graveyard –
forgotten names are blanketed,
put to rest by mother nature.
Patrick Dumas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Chance of Seasons by Patrick Dumas )
- Life is a chasing game,, Aftab Alam
- The midnight scream, Harold R Hunt Sr
- It calls your name., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Dogs, Cinzia Wills
- Interminable Wanderer, Cinzia Wills
- The Sky, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That part of your heart, Rolfy Dsilva
- The letter puzzle., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I am Sorry, Md. Ziaul Haque
- If it wasn't for country music, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)