A Chance of Seasons
Virgin flowers –
first taste of new life.
Stargazer lilies scent
Rolling waves of green grass,
pollen platoons invade air –
poetry reads well under a tree.
Sun made tea
sits on the ledge of the balcony
as the city wakes below.
Lying on a towel above burnt cement,
dead air-conditioner –
sound track of katydids.
Summer’s heat; soft pavement –
clouds drift through streets.
Scarlet leaves smear
the highway borders
through perspiring eyes.
Harvest Moon – red,
streaked with black clouds –
light from moon –
frost by morning.
Burning wind of frost,
guidance of lunar reflective glow;
shovel warms from earned friction.
An autumn chill,
a graveyard’s swaying trees –
sunlight bathes the hearse.
cemented sky –
dry leaves crowd my shoes.
The face smiles its lunar grin,
making a path along the water;
the cold tide goes to sleep.
Snow covers the graveyard –
forgotten names are blanketed,
put to rest by mother nature.
Patrick Dumas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Chance of Seasons by Patrick Dumas )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Henry David Thoreau
(12 July 1817 – 6 May 1862)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- The Storm, Michael P. McParland
- The Step, Michael P. McParland
- The Stars Are Smiling, Michael P. McParland
- The Scene, Michael P. McParland
- The Only One, Michael P. McParland
- The Night Glorious Light, Michael P. McParland
- Dream Number 3 (hope), Smoky Hoss
- The Mist, Michael P. McParland
- Her Voice, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- Let me count War a divine curse, Pijush Biswas