Sidi J. Mahtrow
A Chicken is not a Bird
A chkn na be a byrd
Acord'n folk lvn in flori da
Kep'n and own'n be difernt
If be a tigr or sknk kept
An' a' th hair cutn shp r paloor for trm
Word is one's pets is one's own prblm
So be it, tha list of crtures kept, grws lngr by da
Cept'n when are feral, as n dog and ct stray
Thn becms nuher mat'r
For nebors blathr.
Whn pkins gd, thn no problm
But whn pks in yr flwr bd, much to be mad then.
Frm tm to tm thngs gt out of hnd ‘n
Complnts ‘n words for cert n.
So Gvrmnt coms to soln
Of problms b'for problms xst for som.
But na be a ckn a byrd?
Cuse if it be a byrd,
Thn it lv in a byrd sanctry free
An can na hunt, na hrt, na molst byrdees
So wa to du?
Mybe pas law that sy to you,
'Chkn na be byrd'
Thn ok to hv fer Sundy Dnr n vite Prechr for Holy wrd.
N hisn wfe cuse good Chrstn man and wom'
Enjy, chkn in fryn pan.
So law pasd that say chkn not a bryd so
They mst sty a' home an' na go.
Howsome evr, bryds (an chkns also) cnt rde
An thy kpt do n wh' brds an chkns do bst to feed.
Which be to go whr God low such,
Which fr mst prt is nxt dr's grdn and frnt prch.
So Bartow Flor da hird a chkn ktchr
To gathr up dose brds and tk to the cntry sid, u betchr.
Tha's nic but brds (scuse me – ckns) got oth id
An flew coup, so to say, or fle.
An those toke out side cit lmts make it home just
Lk homn pgns and r thr for supr like norml ckns cum to rost.
Yu ake how solve mstry of chkns?
Smpl. Persons who compln'd aked to lv town
Now Bartow got pln't chkns an gud ppl all rnd.
Well, maybe Robert Burns writing in his Scottish dialect, might have considering the plight of the good folk of Bartow, Florida. Maybe not, but Benjamin Franklin thought we had too many ltrs in the alphabet and suggested the number could be reduced to seventeen or so.
Sidi J. Mahtrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Chicken is not a Bird by Sidi J. Mahtrow )
- Child Inside, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- G.M. Soldier (still fighting that war wi.., michael walkerjohn
- Imagination, Phil Soar
- Halloween tonight, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Wall @ penn-mar 91732, michael walkerjohn
- Life's Canon, michael walkerjohn
- Platypus, Phil Soar
- Grass, sallam yassin
- For Whatever its Worth, michael walkerjohn
- This Is Me, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- luggage canada, rwetewrt erwtwer
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)