Linda Marie Van Tassell
A Cloud Is Free and So Flies Away
A cloud is free and so flies away
as a white sail upon the ocean,
bright with the light of a sunny ray
with its gossamer wings in motion.
It is like a kiss blown to the wind
between two lovers that must depart
or the quiet presence of a friend
whose smile brings happiness to your heart.
It is like a veil that drifts afloat
the sky-swirled face of a blushing bride
whose kisses rain from her azure throat
to Smith Mountain Lake and ocean tide.
It glides along a wingspan of light
like the pen of a dreaming poet
whose shower of smiles imbibes delight
when the world cries but does not know it.
A metamorphosing sight unfurled -
a sea-washed spirit when wild winds blow -
it transmigrates the top of the world –
a freelance flyer with miles to go.
A dove on the shoulder of the sky,
she folds the world beneath peaceful wing
as church bells echo and street lamps sigh
invoking a song of gathering.
I smile to myself at thought and scene.
Afternoon tea is a sweet bouquet.
As I wait for spring and shades of green,
a cloud is free and so flies away.
Linda Marie Van Tassell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Cloud Is Free and So Flies Away by Linda Marie Van Tassell )
- Cowgirl, R. T. Smith
- Confession in a Booth at the Hollow Log .., R. T. Smith
- A Local Doc, over Rocky Lunchtime Bourbo.., R. T. Smith
- Please Know, Michael McParland
- Pity Party of One -or- I Never Got His N.., Joseph James Breunig 3rd
- She, Divya Singh
- The Garden, William Jay Smith
- The Flight, William Jay Smith
- Touch the Air Softly, William Jay Smith
- Dachshunds, William Jay Smith
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)