Little King of Sorrows
A day like no other
A tragic day I can't forget.
A pain unknown by most.
The day I watched my boy,
become my friendly little ghost.
In a room of wood and scarlet.
I'm stricken by the sight.
Baby casket lay half open.
My eyes shut tears in tight.
"I don't want to do this",
I repeated as I stood.
"Wake me up. This isn't real".
I stalled as long I could.
That endless aisle all a blur.
"Please let me turn around".
So many hands upon me,
As I face my son that drowned.
"Troy...Troy...No. No Troy No.
I'm sorry Troy. It's dad."
I couldn't block the pain.
I never hurt so bad.
"Daddy always loves you".
Planted kiss on head.
"This is just a nightmare.
He isn't really dead."
I cried and cried some more.
So much left to do.
Shattered into pieces.
Forever torn in two.
Funeral of broken souls.
My brother broke mid-read.
That isn't the natural order.
To God I pray and plead.
Then that haunting moment.
The click heard round the room.
It's echo spoke forever.
Sealing us this doom.
Staring out the window,
from S.U.V I sat.
An elderly gent showed honor.
Upon his heart he placed his hat.
In baby land he rested.
A plot nearby the lake.
The hurt was far from over.
I had more than I could take.
This very hand that's writing,
cut the cord that set him free.
Threw dirt down 6ft crevice.
Wiped tears so constantly.
Tears in heaven ending soon.
Seven years gone by.
"I promise you I'm coming home.
My friendly ghost on high."
Little King of Sorrows's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A day like no other by Little King of Sorrows )
- Go boothward young doves, moez meftah
- To Someone Special On Poemhunter, Electric Lady
- Thank You: from a dear friend, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Memories, anthony john cerrito, sr.
- The Sea, Somasekar Sivaprakash
- Gods Revenge, Tango Tango
- 'Valerie', Katherine Nordhaus
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Madrigal Dedicated To An Angel., Marcondes Pereira
- Halloween, lee fones
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Ithaca, Constantine P. Cavafy
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)