Lawrence S. Pertillar
A Different Approach
I have needs, wishes, wants and desires.
And my eyes are undeniably on preferences kept.
I try very hard but for me it's difficult to keep,
My mind open and cleared of judgements to pass.
Although I am the first to admit,
I have blemishes and flaws exposed that exist.
Like everyone else with their insecurities to deny,
I do my best in making attempts...
That I've been blessed with intelligence,
And an abundance of humorous wit.
'If you've got all that going for yourself,
Why are you without a mate? '
Sometimes laughing in the midst of being intimate,
Can be misinterpreted...
As my way of saying I wish to be left alone.
And offering to sip on water instead of champagne,
Leaves someone I suspect with similar interests...
Making excuses as to why they must return to 'their' home.
And there I am left to remain clueless.
'Perhaps you should try a different approach.
Stop 'pretending' you are gifted with intelligence.
Relax your intent and be like regular folks.'
I did that one time.
But still during intimacy...
I find I have this need to take notes.
Wouldn't you be more attracted to someone,
Who practiced and rehearsed...
What it was that turned you on?
'You're joking...right? '
So, I shouldn't take notes.
What do you recommend?
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Different Approach by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Life's a Ball, Alice Cordy
- 'Did I ever Exist? ', Ananta Madhavan
- Keep safe, hasmukh amathalal
- Sunshine, Hanh Chau
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
- Ongoing Mental De-Evolution, michael walkerjohn
- Crossroads Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1927)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)