A Girl Child
Foeticide, infanticide, sex-determination tests and malnutrition to which the a girl child is subjected to is not uncommon in India though the things are fast improving now.
A female form
when comes out of womb
on her existence.
thrown in the garbage bin
poisoned or abandoned
some, who are retained
to face the cruel world
to shatter the myth
we care for the girl child.
Brave survivors face
apathy of kith and kin
maltreatment and malnutrition.
Considered a social liability
treated like a glorified maid
till she attains maturity
to be married off
before reaching puberty.
Sometimes sold and resold
her miseries remain untold
thrown before social wolves and sharks
trying to snatch a living through the dark
for her own sake or for her family
or for the sake of her siblings
her plight is never ending.
If she fights, she fights alone
no one cares, she dies a lone.
When exposed it becomes a news
everyone competes to share her views
beating the bush, discussions galore
downplaying reality as TRPs* soar.
One who gives the man
his own identity
is always tormented by him
what an irony!
Shouldn't we fight for her rights?
shouldn't we make her present and future bright?
shouldn't we give her joy and happiness
making her life worth living day and night?
GOD BLESS THE GIRL CHILD.
GOD SAVE THE GIRL CHILD.
-O-* Television rating points.
Tribhawan Kaul's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Girl Child by Tribhawan Kaul )
Did you read them?
- BE LIKE CHEETAH, Aravind Bhargava
- Hell bent, hasmukh amathalal
- Beautiful stranger, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lynda Bellingham worthily and fondly rem.., Stanley Collymore
- From the Summit, Valsa George
- The Future Of Voices, Peter Jay Shippy
- Only few can medicae, hasmukh amathalal
- Corner, Aparna Chatterjee
- Smile, Ahmed Tawfik
- The Chosed One, Peter Jay Shippy
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)