cheryl davis miller
A Hoe Is A Hoe?
A hoe is a hoe that's what most people say.
But my hoe got broken just the other day.
My grand-daughter borrowed it, [she didn't ask me]
Now the handle is broken causing me perplexity.
She bought a brand new handle but it won't be the same.
A handle's not a handle that's what I will proclaim.
That hoe once belonged to my mother-in-law.
She cleaned it up and oiled it every fall.
Then one day she passed it along to me.
The handle had been carved from a Hickory tree.
It was smooth as velvet from all the years of use.
Shaped for a Lady's hand not made for such abuse.
I'm trying to be kind and behave graciously.
My darling grand-daughter means a lot to me.
I'll have to break it in try to form it to my hand.
A hoe's not just a hoe now I hope you can understand.
cheryl davis miller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Hoe Is A Hoe? by cheryl davis miller )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Liliana EL.
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Heart's In The Highlands, Robert Burns
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Chaos Call, Arik Fletcher
- upon new year's, Ivana Valasik
- Double Jeopardy, David Lewis Paget
- Mining artwork narratives from Sydney Bi.., Danny Draper
- I want to change the language, Danny Draper
- Conference confinement, Danny Draper
- Lunch in the Art Gallery of NSW members .., Danny Draper
- Vulnerability, Valsa George
- Arbitrary (an acronym for beaurocracy), Danny Draper
- The Great Avarice Belief, Danny Draper