A Lament for Mr. Alexander
Oh my master, my master,
My inspiration, who, when I was afraid
Urged me gently on to find a dream –
To weave a world –
And now it seems
That you shall never even know my name.
Oh my teacher, my light,
My wayfinder, who led me into night
And showed me the sun.
Oh my master!
You set me on my way
The distance I have come - I owe to you.
My master, who never knew you had an apprentice.
I wrapped your words about me
I pondered, and I cherished.
I learned from you and admired
And wished beyond every hope
That one day – maybe – you and I
Could shake hands, say “Hello”
And sit and talk about our words.
But oh! My beloved master!
You have gone, and I –
I remain in misery, comforted only
By the lights you lit and left
For me, though you
Never even knew my name.
Sophia White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lament for Mr. Alexander by Sophia White )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 May 1779 – 25 February 1852)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Escaping The World, silenced work
- Lonely, silenced work
- Agnostic Afloat, Donal Mahoney
- Unharmed Pinecones, Saiom Shriver
- Goodluck Jonathan, Okoemu Barnabas
- Money Saved Is Money Earned, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- cool with me, Cee Bea
- Down and Dirty, Buddy Bee Anthony
- I Never, Sergi Dutronc
- Love for everyone, Andy Sayasone