An explanation, not a justification.
A joke too soon mocking the latest rent-a-grief victim,
unnecessary fiddling with cutlery and then, suddenly, blue air.
I can't really explain why I wasn't listening…
maybe it's an old habit? Important stuff is being disclosed,
the whole gamut of emotion, and yet all I can do is say ‘Yeah'
and nod at Pinteresque pauses in our conversation.
If I'm not listening then the explanation can only be self-justification.
Alexander Hawkins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Musing by Alexander Hawkins )
- I Have Fallen In Deep, Lilly Emery
- Bramblehash, Luke J. Holt
- A Bare Night, Tony Adah
- That Special Feeling, Bill Cantrell
- The Pit Among Dreams, Lilly Emery
- Vietnam ~ Part 2, Sara Fielder
- Time, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- The Search For Peace, david kush
- Without It Questioned, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Bane of Attraction, Anthony Edmond John