An explanation, not a justification.
A joke too soon mocking the latest rent-a-grief victim,
unnecessary fiddling with cutlery and then, suddenly, blue air.
I can't really explain why I wasn't listening…
maybe it's an old habit? Important stuff is being disclosed,
the whole gamut of emotion, and yet all I can do is say ‘Yeah'
and nod at Pinteresque pauses in our conversation.
If I'm not listening then the explanation can only be self-justification.
Alexander Hawkins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Musing by Alexander Hawkins )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- I Love You..!, SAK Reddy
- Into Depths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You will find, hasmukh amathalal
- Bale Visions, Adeosun Olamide
- The good theme, hasmukh amathalal
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo
- I'll Always, Michael P. McParland