A New Way, A New Day
The day smiled. Then while I slept, it cried.
Awakened, I decried the fury with which the storm
Fell and crashed. With pain of sorrow, it lashed
My back with anger’s rivets.
Along my back, white lightening streaks, attacked
My mood, similarly, too, across the way,
On the ridges of the mountain, the dark
Clouds shadowed one called The Priest.
And, then, the sweet relief, the sun smiling,
It beamed a rainbow, the colors blooming~
Spikes of white flowers, the goatsbeard framing
My view, the fog retiring.
Cliffs, caves reside nearby, my abode rests
Between the ancient hills, alongside the
Rock hanging down near path of Crawford’s Edge.
A raging stream still exclaims!
There, the hand of ancient time works its way
Smoothing the rocks while the Black Locust stands
Robust, rooted, waving its arms, watching,
Guarding, like sentry alarmed.
Accept it for what it is? Dare I now take
From example, season for mourning, grief,
Joy? Ah, yes, but why say choose the latter way,
With pen and pad, with gladness?
Shall I play old mind games with emerging
Black eyed gals, named Susan, who in yellow
Petaled skirts dance in rhythm? There, exists,
Recompense. Place of joy.
As sweet as place called heaven, a voice
Sings sunlit songs. And pen, relinquishing
Some sorrow, considers now releasing
Past wrongs... embedded far too long.
6 July 2013
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New Way, A New Day by Jackie Allen )
- Returning from the Broken Mirror Myth, Gabriel Sumon
- Tour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ZZ Animals Flunk These 2014 Candidates, Saiom Shriver
- my pool days, lee fones
- Enough is enough, Pat Raia
- A list of the most stupid things said to.., Mae AC.
- Cherry on Top Sundries Shoppe, Steve Kittell
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Importance of compassion, gajanan mishra
- A Flower Which Dreams, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Ernest Christopher Dowson
(2 August 1867 – 23 February 1900)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)