A New Way, A New Day
The day smiled. Then while I slept, it cried.
Awakened, I decried the fury with which the storm
Fell and crashed. With pain of sorrow, it lashed
My back with anger’s rivets.
Along my back, white lightening streaks, attacked
My mood, similarly, too, across the way,
On the ridges of the mountain, the dark
Clouds shadowed one called The Priest.
And, then, the sweet relief, the sun smiling,
It beamed a rainbow, the colors blooming~
Spikes of white flowers, the goatsbeard framing
My view, the fog retiring.
Cliffs, caves reside nearby, my abode rests
Between the ancient hills, alongside the
Rock hanging down near path of Crawford’s Edge.
A raging stream still exclaims!
There, the hand of ancient time works its way
Smoothing the rocks while the Black Locust stands
Robust, rooted, waving its arms, watching,
Guarding, like sentry alarmed.
Accept it for what it is? Dare I now take
From example, season for mourning, grief,
Joy? Ah, yes, but why say choose the latter way,
With pen and pad, with gladness?
Shall I play old mind games with emerging
Black eyed gals, named Susan, who in yellow
Petaled skirts dance in rhythm? There, exists,
Recompense. Place of joy.
As sweet as place called heaven, a voice
Sings sunlit songs. And pen, relinquishing
Some sorrow, considers now releasing
Past wrongs... embedded far too long.
6 July 2013
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New Way, A New Day by Jackie Allen )
- Wear a Cons Smile, Kevin Patrick
- Being aware, hasmukh amathalal
- Needed, Michael McParland
- Glory dies with memory., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sources and termination, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Blood Red Candle, Arrianna Prentiss
- Hugh in a Nutshell, Arrianna Prentiss
- Painting Tomorrow, Cathy Hodgson
- Silence of the Snow, Arrianna Prentiss
- Don't ever in public, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)