A New Way, A New Day
The day smiled. Then while I slept, it cried.
Awakened, I decried the fury with which the storm
Fell and crashed. With pain of sorrow, it lashed
My back with anger’s rivets.
Along my back, white lightening streaks, attacked
My mood, similarly, too, across the way,
On the ridges of the mountain, the dark
Clouds shadowed one called The Priest.
And, then, the sweet relief, the sun smiling,
It beamed a rainbow, the colors blooming~
Spikes of white flowers, the goatsbeard framing
My view, the fog retiring.
Cliffs, caves reside nearby, my abode rests
Between the ancient hills, alongside the
Rock hanging down near path of Crawford’s Edge.
A raging stream still exclaims!
There, the hand of ancient time works its way
Smoothing the rocks while the Black Locust stands
Robust, rooted, waving its arms, watching,
Guarding, like sentry alarmed.
Accept it for what it is? Dare I now take
From example, season for mourning, grief,
Joy? Ah, yes, but why say choose the latter way,
With pen and pad, with gladness?
Shall I play old mind games with emerging
Black eyed gals, named Susan, who in yellow
Petaled skirts dance in rhythm? There, exists,
Recompense. Place of joy.
As sweet as place called heaven, a voice
Sings sunlit songs. And pen, relinquishing
Some sorrow, considers now releasing
Past wrongs... embedded far too long.
6 July 2013
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New Way, A New Day by Jackie Allen )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Anthem For Doomed Youth, Wilfred Owen
Poem of the Day
- Far away stare, Cee Bea
- N.D.F.B. Lai katna jau, Pankazz koirala Upadhayaya
- Ayandolu, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Unspoiled Love, Sergi Dutronc
- Surrender The Anguish, lingering stupor
- New Year 2015, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Serenity Of Air, lingering stupor
- Lovely flow, hasmukh amathalal
- 'A Peaceful New Year', Sossi Khachadourian
- Run Silent Run Deep, lingering stupor