A Poet in the Hereafter
St. Peter met her at heaven’s huge gate,
asking who was she and why had she come.
“Why should I let such as ‘you’ enter in?
I’m busy and there’s such a long line.”
She held her head proudly and vouched for herself,
told him her heart was honest and true,
then went on to list her other good traits
and sat down for a breather when through.
He stood there just staring, a frown on his face,
then proclaimed, “Access denied! ”
Access denied? Stunned, she started to cry
(for the option to heaven is wry) ...
She poured out a story of woe to the man.
“I’m just a poor poet, St. Peter, sir.
I did my very best all of my life
hurt no one did I... maybe once, ” she lied.
All of a sudden the gates opened wide.
There was St. Peter moving aside.
“God loves His poetry, ” he said with a grin.
“Dear poet, please come right on in.”
C.J. Heck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Poet in the Hereafter by C.J. Heck )
- 7 Aprl 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 25 March 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Walking the Dog, Kaila George
- Assimilating Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 17 March 2014, Shri R Brahma
- An Ode To Odes Of Olde (Love & Woe), Tad Russell
- 15 March 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Unknown Mysteries, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Folding Teardrops, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tapped......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)